Southern dining

Having lived in Georgia for almost a year now, I'm still finding it quite amusing to find really southern hole in the wall restaurants. I'm originally from Michigan, or as some people here would say, a "Yankee". My sister went to Al's Family Restaurant yesterday in North Augusta, South Carolina (Augusta is on the border of South Carolina and Georgia). We used her GPS to find a restaurant that wasn't a chain and within 10 miles. 
We pull up to this restaurant, and of course, it's a dirt parking lot. We walk in, and no joke, everyone just stared at us. Apparently we don't look like locals and it was very awkward finding a table and pretending we weren't being watched. Maybe it was my striped shirt and pale pink high waisted shorts. 
The Duke
Picture from Rach's cell phone.
The funniest thing ever: pictures of John Wayne everywhere! I had my little Nikon point and shoot in my purse and we were sneaking pictures. Didn't want to make it too obvious we were poking fun at funny southerners. They continued to stare at us throughout the entire meal.
Waiting on the coffee refills that never came.
The booths looked like a lunch room / closed down Arby's restaurant. We got some awesomely greasy southern cooked food. Rachael the mini BBQs, I got the Philly steak sandwich, southern style of course.
mini BBQs
Philly steak sandwich
The food looks horrible in the pictures but it was fantastic! Rachael thought I should share our dining experience in my blog. Aside from the service being terrible, it was a great find!
Being a pig.
Sporting my red glasses for the day and drinking sweet tea.
After our stomachs were filled with the very unhealthy food from Al's, we went grocery shopping, buying mostly cat stuff of course, and I picked up my new contacts! As much as I love my glasses, I can't stand wearing them! I'm trying these new Ultraflex Aspheric lenses that slightly correct my astigmatism without being a toric lens. They're so comfortable and I can finally see! For those of you with perfect vision, be thankful; waking up and not being able to see across the room is terrible.
On the way home we stopped at Wine World, a little wine shop on Georgia Avenue, right past the 13th street bridge. They sell Oberson here (Amazing Michigan beer) !

Rachael found from German beer; we got a few bottles. I bought a bottle of Lambrusco for Rach and I this Sunday. I don't know if my kitchen will hold any more wine bottles. I think we're starting to look like crazy wine-o cat ladies. Ha, oh well.

Time to go to Salvation Army. I'm on the lookout for some more cat figurines, a vintage polaroid camera case for my Nikon DSLR, and maybe more fabric. Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

  1. Ha! My boyfriend lives in Aiken. We will have to hit Al's sometime. Those fresh cut fries look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts