DIY Clothes Pin Scarf Holder


As my hair grows out, and I discovered how to tie a head scarf, I can’t get enough of my scarves. But then there’s the dillemna, how to do I store them? Fold them all neatly in a drawer? I can’t keep silk folded nicely. They end up in a jumbled mess. Toss them on a shelf? I don’t want them to get wrinkled. Ironing just a scarf, too much work! Hang them up? I don’t want to hurt the silk and they don't have loops on which to hang. Clothes pins are the answer, and this simple door hanger is perfect to have access to your favorite scarves and such a pretty way to display your collection at the same time.
You will need:
  • A piece of wood, about a 22 inches wide 2x4 will do the trick
  • A handful of clothes pins. I used 12
  • Picture frame wire kit, about 28" piece of wire and two eyelets
  • Wood glue
  • Clamps or a heavy paperweight

Line up your clothes pins, space them out evenly.
Starting at one end, pick up a clothes pin, and apply a little bit of wood glue to the backside. Wait 30 seconds and put in place.
Carefully clamp down clothes pin. Notice my wood isn't flat? Well, I trash picked this wood when a nearby residence was cleaning out a shed, and there were stacks and stacks of this beautiful old wood, used for a railing, hence the beveled edge. I simply washed the wood with soap and water before the project, and I love the rough look of it. Other wood, the clothes pin should sit flush against the wood. If you don't have clamps, simply use something heavy to help the clothes pin stay in place while the glue sets and hardens.
Wood glue sets and hardens fairly fast, and since I'm only hanging silk scarves, I wasn't too worried about waiting a long period of time before unclamping. I waited about 20 minutes with each clothes pin. Finish one, move onto the next. Glue them all down.
Grab two eyelets and hand screw into the side of the 2x4, about 1/4" from the top and center. Using the frame wire, insert 1" into one eyelet, and fold back on itself. Wrap around and use pliers to make sure no small pieces of wire stick out. Those thin wires hurt when they accidentally poke your fingers!
Insert a nail on a wall, or in my case, use a over the door wreath hanger and place on the back of your closet door. Get out all your scarves and clip onto each clothes pin. That part is pretty self explanatory, huh? They are all so bright and pretty, and being able to see them all helps me pick out the perfect scarf to match that day's outfit!
After making this yesterday, my mom's already ordered two for her house, and my sister wants one, too! They're so handy! I hope this tutorial inspires you do get into some tools and make something for your home!

And seriously, how have I just now discovered putting a scarf on my head? I haven't done my hair in at least three days, and it's awesome! Super handy with my crazy schedule, and equally crazy 'no poo' hair.

Comments

  1. Kudos! I'll be making these to hang gloves and other hangables as well that need to be organized. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just hopped over here from Pinterest, what an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts