In The Making: The Teacher Foldover Handbag

Purchased from the same estate sale where I purchased my vintage Brother sewing machine, this "teacher" tote was a real gem to find! Only $3 on sale the very last day of the sale, I don't know how it wasn't scooped up sooner. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it as soon as I saw it: a large foldover handbag. The arrow up makes it even more special. Indicating that the wearer of the bag is indeed a teacher, the arrow is exposed when the flap is in the upright position.

Pairing the tote with other recycled materials, I used grey leather that was given to me by my mother, and the leather is scraps she got from an upholstery company when I was just a girl, using the leather for Girl Scout projects when she was our troop leader. I must have been 4 or 5 when I joined the girl scouts, so this leather has been with me for many many moves and years. I salvaged the straps to use for the interior pocket, along with fabric that looks like the game Twister. The strap is made from upholstery fabric that was also donated to me about a month ago from a local upholstery shop. 

So any teacher friends you have, please share this bag with them. It's for sale in my Etsy shop for only $65 here. Hope you are all having a wonderful week. I'm currently updating new listings in my shop. Check it out for new handbags and more!
Outfit details: 
Shirt, handmade by me
Shoes: thrifted, vintage

Comments

Popular Posts