Happy Thanksgiving!

I had originally planned on spending Thanksgiving by myself this year with all my family being so far away, I didn't want to impose on friend's families, and my boyfriend is out of town. I planned a huge meal for myself and was going to stay in my apartment with my cats.
My friend, Sarah, convinced me late Wednesday night over Strongbows at Firehouse, a local bar, to go to Glennville, Georgia with her and her family for the day. We left around 10:30 A.M., and it was only a two hour drive with her lead foot. Her three kids were already there visiting with everyone. We had a nice drive listening to the Cranberries, Radiohead, Camera Obscura, and Broken Social Scene. My genuis playlist on my iPod touch was pretty fantastic.
Her granddad and grandmom have lived on this family farm for over five generations. They have farmed cotton, tobacco, pecans, pigs, sweet potatoes, and more. It reminded me of the farm my mother grew up on in Ithaca, Michigan. The old tobacco house is still standing where her mother would hang tobacco to dry as a kid, as is the small two room house her granddad's family grew up in, back by the pecan grove. It's such a peaceful little farm. It makes me wants to live on a huge farm someday.
I made an "organic" pumpkin pie as my dish to pass. It was my first pumpkin pie I had ever made! I didn't realize how soupy it is when you first put it in the oven! I almost had a major disaster in my kitchen Wednesday night when I was baking. I also used organic eggs with it. It smelt great and looked good, but unfortunately it was terrible. The recipe on the "organic pumpkin" can didn't call for sugar, so I didn't use any, but I guess most pumpkin pie recipes do call for sugar. Sarah's son, Finlay, tried a small piece and said, "Ummm, Miss Sally, this is kinda bad." It was funny.
I picked cotton for the first time! The majority of the cotton fields throughout Georgia have been picked already, but this nearby crop hadn't yet been harvested. After a huge dinner, a nice long nap, and then coffee with dessert, we went outside to take a few pictures and enjoy the setting sun.
The I ♥ NY shirt I'm wearing, my friend Reuben brought me from his recent trip to New York. It was a size medium, typical t-shirt. I didn't have anything to wear when I woke up in the morning, and the shirt was still in the plastic sack when he gave it to me on Tuesday. I took in both sides about 2 1/2 inches starting at the bottom hem and going up into the sleeves. I cut the collar off, and gave it a slight scoop neck. I also made the sleeves into cap sleeves, which you can't quite see since I'm wearing a cardigan. In less than 5 minutes I had a new shirt to wear! Tutorial coming soon.
Sarah's boys, Aiden and Finlay, getting lost in the cotton.
Sarah's son, Finlay and I walking back to the house. He's such a sweet boy. I'm so lucky to have such a great friend to take care of me on Thanksgiving! I'm currently eating her leftover sweet potato souffle. It's heaven! And of course I got the recipe. I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving with your families and friends!
Time to finish curtains I'm making for Americana, a local tattoo parlor. And it's laundry day. I hate laundry day. 

Comments

Popular Posts