My Cranberry Cherry Pie

With the Thanksgiving holiday approaching, I thought it would be nice to share one of my recipes with you all. Cranberry-cherry pie! It not too sweet, slightly tart, perfect for someone who isn't a big fan of sweet fruit filled pies. Forget about opening a can of cranberry sauce, take an hour or two and make a pie!
My favorite part of baking in my kitchen is putting on a cute vintage apron and using my crazy lady oven mit! I hope you all enjoy this tutorial/recipe. I love baking!
Ingredients:
  • 2 bags of fresh cranberries
  • 1 can of cherry pie filling
  • pie crust
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups of water
Start by bringing two cups of water and two cups of sugar to a boil. Add cranberries.
At about meduim heat, allow the cranberries to simmer for about 10 minutes. They will pop and the skins will split (above). After about ten minutes the wter will start to bubble and the cranberries will become a little mushy. Turn off burner or remove from heat.
Open the can of cherries and place in mixing bowl. Using a spoon, preferably with holes to allow juice to drain, scoop only the cranberries in with the cherries. Stir cherries and cranberries.
Pour cranberries and cherries into deep dish pie pan on top of crust.
Using the other roll of crust, cover the cranberries and cherries, crimp edges to seal the pie. I like to cut hearts in the top of my pies for ventilation. Slits will do, or you can use cookies cutters for fun designs. I have a mitten cookie cutter I like to pretend is Michigan. I think I'll use it for my next apple pie.
Place pie in over at 425 degrees for 15 minutes to brown edges of crust. Turn heat down to 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. When you hear the pie bubbling it is done. Remove from over and place on cookie sheet in case it is overflowing.
I had a little mess in my oven and cran-cherry overflow but it happens. This beautiful, delicious pie is sure to win people's hearts!
This year is going to be a difficult Thanksgiving for me. I have always, last year and this year being the only exception, spent Thanksgiving at home, with my family. My stepfather passed away earlier this year, and with him being a master cook, I have a difficult time wanting to have Thanksgiving at all. With my family still in Michigan, and my sisters in Hawaii and Florida, it's impossible to travel to spend it with any of them.
So this year I'll be spending it alone.  I have decided I'm cooking dinner for myself at home. Just me, Clementine, and Stella. Me and my cats. And a box of wine. That doesn't crazy or anything does it?
I bought a three pound boneless turkey, a few sweet potatoes, a spaghetti squash, and ingredients to make an organic pumpkin pie, and red skin potatoes and onions to cook with the baby turkey. I still need to get buttermilk for homemade biscuits and fresh vegetables. 
I think I'm actually kind of excited about it though. Thanksgiving by myself. This will probably, and hopefully, be my only year that I spend this holiday alone. I'd like to think Tom would be proud of me taking on all this cooking. I think it will be a great learning experience. And I will enjoy my solitude. 
Maybe I'll even get some sewing done. Who knows. I hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving with your loved ones!

Comments

  1. I've spent a Thanksgiving or two alone--and a Thanksgiving or two with family, but feeling alone. I think it would have been ten times better if I had cooked such a delicious meal for myself and had some wine. :)

    I hope you enjoy it (and although you say you might sew, I think you should also enjoy the relaxation of a quiet day)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tutorial and recipe! Looks delicious, thank you!! Your kitchen is adorable, too :)
    Your thanksgiving sounds lovely and relaxing! I don't care for Thanksgiving because I can't enjoy myself, I'm talking to relatives I don't really know, or sitting at the kids table, or stuck doing the dishes...and family drama! Ugh. So enjoy your solitude, everything you plan to cook sounds so delicious - and you get to keep all the leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts