The "No Poo" Method

Since shaving my head last May, I've completely changed my hair regimen. It's a little unconventional, so keep an open mind. I'm so excited to share my gradual transition into, get ready for it, NOT washing my hair. That's right, I don't wash my hair anymore, and before you judge, read on. I swear it's not gross.


It all started when I shaved my head. My hair has been super long and paper white blog and I absolutely loved it. The maintenance, well that was another story. Naturally dark brown hair, the blonde was about $150/ month to maintain, and that was getting a very great deal from the best salon in Augusta

Then Matt and I got the news we'd be moving to Florida. We were beyond excited to start a new chapter in our lives. Because of his new job, I'd be able to quit my part-time bartending job to be able to do more than full-time at design, and Matt would be moving up in his career. Win/win. Well then I had to think about my hair. Continuing with blonde was extra money I knew we wouldn't want to have to spend, so I went magenta and short. Spontaneous Sally got antsy and that didn't last more than a few weeks before taking to Matt's clippers 6 days before we pulled out of Georgia. I woke up one morning and the pompadour that I had cut my bob down to was really annoying me. Bam. I shaved my head. I didn't even tell Matt I was going to do it. He was surprised to say the least.
Common sense can even tell you, it's quite silly to wash a shaved head with shampoo. I'd use a pea sized amount of shampoo a few times a week, no conditioner, if I even remembered. It honestly wasn't even worth the time to do that. Sometimes I'd use Matt's pomade. Since we had moved, I did a giant purge of hair products, giving a friend literally ALL my hair products and tools save one or two brushes that I really adored. 

As my hair start to grow, and even retain the littlest bit of water in it after showering, I'd start playing with it. I'd chop at the back of my ducktail here and there, letting the top continue to grow. When the time came for a flat top, I was so excited and happy with short hair. Not to mention being in Florida with no hair in the summer, it was phenomenal.

Well as it grew, I was still only shampooing it once or twice a week, all the while holding off on the conditioner. My naturally thick and slightly corse hair was loving it. It was full of body and movement and like a sculpture on some days. It started to feel like it had it's own mind and personality.

Then I met a fellow vendor at Riverside Arts Market that sells natural plant based soaps and lotions. Her shampoo was next on my list to transition into a natural regimen. Around that same time, Matt ran out of pomade, and I thought agh, what the hell, I'll just not wash it everyday and rinse it with hot water, and see what happens. 
 

Still blow drying it everyday to be able to control some of it's wild nature, my hair was getting better and better. Eventually noticing a slight buildup from the natural shampoo, I cut that out two weeks ago. I haven't washed my hair since. I simply rinse it with hot water everyday when I shower, and it's good to go. I shared my method on Instagram the other day, and received an overwhelming response from internet friends that are on a similar path as I.

Some people may be grossed out by the whole thing, thinking unwashed hair is dirty, oily, unclean. Well think about the other, 'normal' method that most take to. Using a detergent (shampoo) everyday that strips the follicles of their natural oils and protectants, to then douse it with a lotiony goo (conditioner) to put some semblance of oils and moisture back on the hair. Seems a little silly right? Unless you are using a ton of product, how dirty does one's hair really get everyday. It's like reading the label of Chapstick to see that it has drying agents in it. Lotions that contain alcohol. So many products on the market are designed to make our bodies need them. Use antiperspirant so you don't stink or sweat,.. but when happens when you quit using it? Your body's levels will readjust and you will stop smelling when you sweat (I also quit antiperspirant a few years ago). Same goes with hair. 

My hair's chemistry is a world away from what it was when I was shampooing everyday, and I mean when it was long and natural, not just blonde and chemically altered. My natural curls are back and my hair is still short. I never would see these curls until my hair would grow more.

In the past two weeks, I've used baking soda to give my hair a good scrub just once. I placed about 1/2 cup of baking soda in a custard cup and scrubbed my roots in the shower. Now that was an interesting experience. Maybe I won't stick with it forever, well that I don't know. I'm just enjoying the transition into something different, and exploring new options. It is definitely something I will stick with while I can manage this crazy main being a short coif. I think it may be more difficult as my hair grows. 

What's does my hair feel like? You know what hair looks like in period movies, when it just kind of falls into place, curls seem more coarse and defined… that's what it feels like. I don't currently use any product in my hair either, aside from baby powder late in the day to give it an extra oomph if we're going out.

While the "no poo" method isn't for everyone, I encourage you all to step back and reevaluate your beauty method and routine, opting for more natural and chemical free products. It's amazing what the human body can accomplish all on it's own.

Comments

  1. Cool! I did no poo for quite a few months with mostly success. Then switched to the honey shampoo method, a little gentler... so cool to use real ingredients instead of chemical products! I posted about it here... http://www.adventuresindressmaking.com/2013/06/how-to-wash-hair-with-no-shampoo-or-conditioner.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I ran out of baking soda last week, and mixed up sugar, honey, and coarse salt for a scrub, and when the water ran onto my face, the sweetness made me giggle haha.

      Delete
  2. I use only conditioner in my hair. Since my hair is natural and curly I need the conditioner for the softness and managing. If my hair is feeling dirty I use baking soda or apple cider vinegar. Or black soap. And I only use it on my scalp. I don't want to strip my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Since switching to this and opening up dialogue about natural body care, it's so inspiring to see others that have been doing the same thing for a long time ! :) :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I've been thinking about going no-poo for awhile now and this was so inspiring! I would love to hear about your transition from deoderant too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll work on a post about the no deodorant too! :) I feels great to be natural!

      Delete
  4. This is totally genius. I've got long hair and some serious scalp problems, and specal shampoo for it that i HAVE to use, or else. This year I've been washing with just hot water every other day, and using shampoo the others and it's really making a big difference. I'm really considering the apple cider vinegar route to replace shampoo. Baby steps. ha!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this post, I've changed it up just a little bit, and I've been using the ACV + tea tree oil + water in a spray bottle for a conditioner about once a week after a baking soda scrub. I hope you find something that works for you!

      Delete
  5. So jealous of your shaved hair story, I'm always tempted to start over and grow virgin, untouched hair but my type 3b curls would be even harder to maintain short, the length weighs down the frizz. I'm a strong no-poo, no artificial-body-anything advocate, all the alcohols and chemicals strip our hair/skin of natural moisture and make us dependent on the products. My hair/skin has never looked better since going all natural and washing my hair as little as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short hair is definitely difficult to maintain, I'm finding that out as I grow it out since my hair is extremely thick. Can't wait for long hair! I'm hoping the no-poo will work when my hair is longer too!
      I'm trying my best to go natural with all my skin-care needs, and a local Jacksonville friend even sells natural makeup! Can't wait to try some of that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts