Revisiting a skirt tutorial: How to shorten a cotton skirt

Wearing this skirt the other day during a photo shoot brought back memories of the tutorial. I can't believe it was three years ago! Seems like just yesterday I was living in my huge upstairs apartment in downtown Augusta, Georgia. And it's so funny seeing my baby bangs and dark hair. I can't wait until my hair grows out a little longer! And can you believe it's been a year since I shaved my head? Time is flying faster than I can document and work and blog. Gah! Work is nuts lately, but I'm happy to have some new listings in our shop. Check 'em out, and read the tutorial below.

Ohmigoodness, it's been too long! My internet has been down since last Saturday and I've been going crazy! It's finally back up and I can now show you this skirt I altered on Monday. My sister, Rachael, was in town and Monday was our craft day. She'd brought me this skirt and wanted to cut it up and make a purse out of it. No way Jose. I loved the floral print! I told her it was mine ha. I knew if I'd just shorten it, it would be just right, and it is now perfect!

Before: a great skirt, elastic waist, high waisted, and it even has pockets! Using my chalk hem marker with a little hand pump, you can copy this exact alteration at home without any help! 
Measuring the exact distance from the floor all the way around is tricky with only one set of hands. When you lean down to pin it, the fabric drops quite a few inches. Then you end up with a really short skirt. The solution: a chalk hem marker! I purchased mine at Joann's for about $20 with my coupon I get in the mail.

Make sure your skirt it the right height at your waist all the way around. Starting at one side, mark with the chalk every few inches. It creates a line about 1 1/2" long. This is important to do, versus taking the skirt up the same amount all the way around, because with a woman's curves. Sometimes you will end up with a skirt shorter in the back, if you have a big behind, and if it is a dress, shorter in the front if you have a big chest. Bottom line: this tool is best to use just to be safe and alter the garment correctly.

EDIT: DO NOT LOOK DOWN WHEN PUMPING THE CHALK HEM MARKER.

Cut about 1" below the chalk mark. This will leave you enough seam allowance.
Sewing not pictured, but sew a double rolled hem (or an invisible seam) and voila! You have a much more attractive skirt. Perfect for spring! And shorter to be more fashionable. 

Belt: Goodwill, $1. Watch: Walmart, $40. 
David Bowie tank top: $5. Shoes: Gap City Flats, $30

Comments

Popular Posts