DIY magnetic makeup board

The hardest part about living with someone, in my opinion, is sharing a bathroom. Matt and I share a very spacious apartment, everything is huge and perfect, save the bedroom and bathroom. I had to do something to declutter our tiny bathroom, where my makeup was the one thing I would easily forget to put away, making a mess that drove Matt crazy! I saw this amazing makeup organizer on Pinterest and HAD to try it out! Matt was up for anything, as long as it got my makeup out of his way haha. Again, this idea was not mine, I don't want to be a DIY idea thief, this is just a tutorial of how I did it.

You will need:
  • a large picture frame
  • Mod Podge
  • all purpose glue
  • paintbrush
  • hot glue and glue gun
  • scissors
  • sheet metal to fit your picture frame
  • fabric
  • butter knife or screwdriver
  • magnets
This was the hardest part: getting sheet metal to fit my frame. The tutorial I originally saw said that she got Home Depot to cut her metal to size. I don't know where she lives, but Lowe's in North Augusta, South Carolina looked at my like I was nuts when I asked them to cut it for me. This is where it comes in handy to be a skirt wearing girl at a hardware store, all the employees, men, are so helpful, almost too helpful, assuming I'm a dumb know nothing girl. They pointed me in the right direction, to a metal shop a mile down the road that charged me $10 to cut two pieces of sheet metal to the right size. (I made two of these. One for me, and one for my friend Sarah)

Start by gutting your picture frame. Toss the glass and picture. This is where it's great to buy a picture frame from a thrift store with the glass already broken. Save waste and reuse the old frame. Paint it if you'd like, I just happened to get one that I liked the color. Gather all of your materials.


Paint your sheet metal with Mod Podge.

Lay fabric on top of it, getting out any wrinkles by simply tugging on the fabric. Let dry.

 Flip over and cut down fabric to allow for an inch and a half over hang, clipping the corners. Run a strip of glue 1/2" from the edge of the metal around all sides and fold over fabric. Allow to dry.

Put sheet metal in your frame and fold down all the original staples with a butter knife or screwdriver. You are done with the hardest part of the project!

Now go and find your essential makeup and glue little magnets to everything. I used ceramic plates from Lowe's. They're really strong and only require one on the heavier things like my Smashbox mineral foundation. I attached magnets to a few brushes, three mascaras, waterproof, warm water washable, regular, a few blushes, mineral foundation, Benetint, lip balm, some eyeshadows, concealer, waterproof eyeliner, and a few other things I use everyday.

A fun extra! Take an old vitamin bottle, remove the label, cut off the top, and attach a few magnets. Voila: little holder for all your brushes! This project was quite easy, aside from getting the sheet metal sized. I'd recommend calling your local hardware store to ask if they cut sheet metal before starting this project. 

My magnetic makeup board been hanging for about three weeks now and I LOVE IT! I have never had an easier time getting ready to leave the house. I think half of the time spent doing makeup is fishing through a bag. Take that away, and you only need about 3-5 minutes before you're ready to leave the house! 

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Comments

  1. I wanted to make one of these!! I saw the tutorial out there also
    this very cool ^^

    kisses!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts