Birthday recap, snow in Augusta!


It snowed in Georgia!


So I have finally arrived back home in Georgia, pulled in yesterday afternoon. It was so nice to walk in the door, greet my cats and sister, and fall into my bed for the first time in almost three weeks! It was also my birthday; I turned 25 yesterday. The big 2-5. Halfway to fifty, a quarter of a century, blah blah blah. I never really like celebrating my birthday; it feels selfish for some reason. Generally, I just call my mom and say "thanks for having me and putting up with me," but I was reminded by a friend a very simple reason to celebrate with close friends. He said that people around you like to celebrate the fact that you are a part of you life on the day you came into the world. I thought that was cute and made me smile.
I was home for an hour and a half when it started snowing in Augusta, Georgia!! It never snows here and we just happened to bring it with us. Brilliant. I was looking forward to coming home and wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Maybe even my mint green denim skirt I just bought at Valueland in Muskegon. No. Definitely not. Had to continue to wear my snow boots I wore during my entire trip in Michigan. Awesome. Thanks Georgia.
So of course silly Georgians can't get around in snow, God forbid it snows! They can't even drive in the rain. So my friends all cancel on the dinner we were all going to meet up for. And since I went out on a limb to try to celebrate my birthday I was a little sad and disappointed.
Rachael and I.
My dad, his wife Sue, my sister Rachael, and I went to Applebee's for dinner. General blah halfway decent food. Since my dad is on the South Beach Diet, it limits places I would have liked to go. I was so exhausted from traveling, and a margarita, and food... I just wanted to go home. My sister pleaded with me that I let her take me downtown for a beer to celebrate.
On the way downtown, we have to stop at our friend's apartment to pick him up. I'm thinking it's just a little pop in, he puts his shoes on, we continue East and head downtown. All of a sudden.. "SURPRISE!!!!!" About six of my friends were there. For the past week they had been coordinating a surprise party with Rachael! It was awesome. They had ice cream cake and everything! It's cheesy to say, but I felt so special. I hate being the center of attention, which is probably why I don't ever celebrate my birthday. But it's nice to feel loved like that by close friends, especially since this place is still slightly new to me. They've made Georgia my home. I love it here.
Walking in. Right before the surprise.
My cake.
Jonathan and I. Blowing out my candles.
Luke and I.
Rachael.
Mallory, Luke, and I. Enjoying the cake.
My friend, Sarah, made me a beautiful necklace for my birthday! She repurposes jewelry, taking old things and making them new. She is amazing. I'm wearing the necklace in the picture below. She sells them in her Etsy shop.
Traye and I with little Roxy.
We went down to Soul Bar after a few cocktails at Jonathan's, Stoli and cranberry is my favorite, mmmm. Rachael kept trying to get me drunk with shot after shot. And of course it didn't happen. Had a great time dancing and being ridiculous. 80s night never lets me down. They place good 80s music too. The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division, etc. Great time.
Took some picture this morning after getting up and around. It was that wet slushy snow that is a pain in the ass but still very pretty. We walked up to the pond that surrounds my street and found little kids making snowmen, probably the first time they saw this much snow, and the ducks freaking out.
These are what the ducks looks like here. I don't know what is going on with them but they looks like peacocks and chicken more than ducks to me. I think it's an asian breed of chickens, but I'm not sure. Whenever I enter or leave my street, which is one big circle, they are wandering all over the place, too stupid to move.
Near one of the ponds. The snow was starting to melt from the sun. Everything shut down down because they thought it was the end of the world. They would never survive a Michigan winter.
The geese in one of the ponds near my house. Geese are nasty but they look pretty swimming around the pond. And now the unpacking process will commence. I've been dreading it. Blaaaah. Maybe I'll finish the 20 or so cassette wallets I couldn't finish in Michigan when I ran out of tags for the inside. We'll see.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Comments

  1. Aww great photos! Glad you had a good birthday, and you and Rachael both look great!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts