Another cold day in Michigan


Still in Michigan visiting my family. I spent the day hanging out with my dad, who happens to be the funniest man on the planet, putting a few things on my Etsy page, and finally got to play Mass Effect 2! After wasting a few hours I really didn't need to waste, I'm back at my mother's house laying out projects for tomorrow.


I used her sewing machine yesterday for the first time in years. She has a Kenmore machine from 1979 my grandmother bought her when she became engaged to my father. Even 30 years later it is the most amazing machine ever. I have a Janome I bought last year for close to $700 and it doesn't even compare! In less than half an hour I made four pouches that would have taken me well over an hour on my machine. 

The big time saver is the speed at which her machine sews, and the width of her presser foot. When sewing a zipper on my machine I have to stop and change to a zipper foot, which is a little more narrow. Her foot works for all stitches and is more universal I guess. I never have to mess with the tension on her machine and it's sooo fast! I can't wait to sew all day tomorrow since I'll be stuck at her house with no car and no where to go but downstairs to work.

Since I've moved in with my sister in Georgia, she has banned me from buying more fabric. I filled up the craft room in our house with so much fabric! We made a deal that I could buy fabric (and I only buy my fabric from thrift stores and resale shops, no new fabric) if I cut it up and make it into something before I get back to Georgia. 

This is what I made yesterday. Four pouches from a placemat from Valueland. The place mat had all four seasons, the cutest print. I bought a bag of scrap fabric that from the 50s and 60s that I used for the lining and back side. The inside is a lovely pink rayon that is almost resistant to spills. The backside is a woven fabric from Grossman's department store in downtown Muskegon. Some lady went there in the 50s, bought 3/8 of a yard of fabric for 25 cents and never used it. The tag was still attached!


Available for sale in my Etsy shop.




Now almost time for Lost! ... And yes, I am a huge nerd that watches Lost and plays Mass Effect. I am so very excited for the three hour final season premiere this evening. 

Comments

Popular Posts