Repurposing a wedding dress

Since I'm crazy and have to take on a thousand projects at once, I decided to finally get started on my first bridal gown reconstruction. I bought this gown for about $15 at a local thrift store that was closing in downtown Augusta. It has absolutely no signs of wear and tear, and I don't think it was ever even worn. An amazing thrift store find.
But. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what exactly I want to do to this dress. 
The negative attributes of this gown: 
  • It's too long.
  • The sleeves are too long, out of date.
  • The waistline is too low, very 80s.
  • There is no bustle. 
The very positive sides of this gown:
  • It is like new. But vintage of course.
  • All the pearl beading is perfectly in tact.
  • The deep V in the back. Very sexy and feminine.
  • A lot of potential in the long train, a very unique bustle could be sewn.
  • The sleeves are unique, not many gowns made today have sleeves.
  • It's a beautiful ivory color, bright white gowns are an eye sore!

I will most likely do the following in this reconstruction:
  • Raise the waistline to the natural waist, keeping all the pleats and "V" in the front.
  • Make the gown knee length but fade into the train's full length. Fun and sassy for an outdoor spring/summer wedding.
  • Shorten the sleeves. Maybe 3/4 or short. I hate cap sleeves!
  • Keep the train but bustle it in a way that it compliments the gown. 
Any ideas or suggestions? I'd love to hear from you all and what you think would make this gown fresh and fashionable again. 

Comments

  1. I honestly think the gown is still beautiful the way it is. :)
    However, if you just had to do something to it. I would maybe take te fullness out of the skirt~ make it an a-line, t-length gown, and cut the train off completely. This gown looks like a style for the more mature bride tht doesn't like a lot of froo-froo ( if that's even the way you spell that, LOL!)
    another thought,make the skirt sraight with a split in the back and make a detacheable train. Still keeping the more mature bride in mind....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts