Tuesday Tunes - Death Cab For Cutie - You Are A Tourist and my love for Ben Gibbard


I still remember the first time I ever heard Death Cab for Cutie when I was 16 years old. It was the year 2001, and a guy I knew burned me a mixed CD. It had songs from We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes, "405" and "Title Track". I loved every bit of it, and the following year I purchased my first actual Death Cab album, You Can Play These Songs With Chords, the local Best Buy actually carried it. Amazon and online retailers weren't very big back then, and iTunes didn't exist either, at least not for me since I only used family computers. It was only CDs back them, and maybe Napster. I eventually fell in love with the photo album, purchasing it in 2002 or 2003, and then became extremely obsessed with The Postal Service. 
My love for Death Cab For Cutie grew even more when I saw them my freshman year of college in the fall of 2003, promoting Transatlanticism. It was in the Michigan State Ballroom at the student union. Maybe 300-500 people were in attendance. I was in love with Ben Gibbard. Omigosh so in love. I've seen them two more times, both concerts at bigger venues.
Even side projects he's done, with Andrew Kenny, All-Time Quarterback, and B-Sides here and there, I'm the biggest fan ever. One of my favorites is a Magnetic Fields cover of the song "Why I Cry" by All-Time Quarterback. I even have the DVD of alternative music videos for Plans, called Directions. Talk about nerding out for Ben Gibbard. Love love love him. 
Finally, Ben Gibbard released his first ever solo album, Former Lives. It's phenomenal! If you haven't had a listen yet, you must go buy it now! The song below features Aimee Mann. Probably my favorite song on the album. I just learned yesterday Matt and I get to go see Ben's solo show next month in Atlanta. YAY! Happy Tuesday everyone. Enjoy some tunes.

Bigger Than Love by Benjamin Gibbard on Grooveshark

Comments

Popular Posts