Tuesday Tunes - The Postal Service... 10 years later


It seems like just yesterday I was in my dad's basement, on the computer, headphones on head, playing my burned copy of Give Up a friend burned for me with other Death Cab songs on it. I'd play Nothing Better over and over and over. Shortly afterwards, I went to our local Best Buy and purchased my first Death Cab For Cutie album, You Can Play These Songs With Chords. 

Bring on Sally's love affair with all things Ben Gibbard. Shortly after, I discovered The Photo Album and I started college. I quickly owned their entire back catalogue of albums, EPs and low-fi recordings. That fall, my roommate and I saw Death Cab during my first semester at Michigan State, with about 200 other people. I was IN LOVE! I even became a super nerd in college and loved the album that inspired the project, Life Is Full Of Possibilities from Dntel.

And that all started 10 years ago. Can you believe it?

Give Up is one of the best pop albums I have ever heard, and I don't think anything will ever fill that space in my musical heart as this album does. It's perfect. Romantic, sad, emotional, beautiful, depressing, hopeful, and happy. All at the same time. 

My musical mentor and role model, Bob Boilen of NPR's All Songs Considered released this video and article today, above. Today, Give Up is being re-released, a special 10 year edition. I'm so tempted to buy it on vinyl when it is released today! Today! Agh has it really been 10 years. It's going to be so strange in another 10 years when it is still in my music rotation. 

Thank you Jimmy and Ben, for such an amazing piece of music. You forever changed me. I love you.


Comments

Popular Posts