Shelby Update

Monday morning already, and it's time to get back to the grind. After a week of settling in and unpacking in Jacksonville, many beach days, and an intense sunburn, it's time to get back to work. Matt started his new job today at the Florida Times Union, and I'm starting to get back into Sally Ann mode. Time to get this show on the road. Gah, so many things to do, and so many lists to make!
I'm currently sitting in a little laundromat, on my iPad, with iPhone nearby playing Ponderosa's new album, and getting some things squared away. First things first, I have to locate a nearby hardware store to look into stain for Shelby's interior. This week, we completed 99% of her interior walls. We finally purchased a jigsaw to finish from pieces that fit around windows. I'm really missing my access to my friends millworks, tablesaw, scroll saw, and all his amazing tools. But hey, the best part about working on Shelby, it's an excuse to buy new tools. Next on our tool shopping list: a little sander, grinder with metal brush to sand down the bumper and tongue, some rubber gaskets to cover the side holes, 2x4s, and wood screws.

Florida is definitely hotter than I expected it to be! And the sun is SO HOT! It's really hard to get things done midday here. When I worked on Shelby, I'd cut some in the morning, take a lunch break at the hottest part of the day, and then come back, with little breaks here and there for water. It is so nice though, to have a garage to set up shop. Before, in Georgia, we'd haul everything over to Trent's shop, or work in our backyard, hauling everything from our apartment to the outside. Because of our neighborhood in downtown Augusta, we never left anything outside, not even for 20 minutes. Now, we live in a cute little family neighborhood that is nice and quiet, right by a river inlet. I need to get it in my head: sunscreen everytime I go outside! Or: sunscreen every morning all over before I get dressed.

Hello from Florida! It's a great day to wear a vintage swimsuit jumper as clothing. Aside from all the Shelby work I need to finish before I do any local art shows, art walks, etc, I need to start calling on some leads for office spaces. Eeeek! How exciting! I'm not working from home anymore. I have my Kenmore in our home office, in case a dress I'm wearing needs mending, or Matt needs alterations, but the majority, 99% of my sewing tools and accessories are staying out of the house. We have a large "pole barn" workshop, seperate from the garage, where I'm sew until the office is up and running.

It's very important, for this new chapter of Sally Ann, to seperate home from work. For the last 5 years, I've worked from home. And it's drove me crazy. I don't know how to relax at home, I'm always thinking about work, and I'm endlessly distracted when I am working. Dog, cats, TV, cleaning, chores, food, and countless other distractions always get the best of me. And then when it's time to relax and call it a day, work is right there, and the need to keep working never goes away.

I look forward to opening an office door, working 8-10 hours, breaking for lunch, meeting Matt at a cute coffee shop to see each other, and then back to work until I call quitting time. Locking that office door and going home to home. Ahhh it's going to be amazing.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. All these updates are so exciting and it'll definitely be so much nicer to separate your home from work. Stay cool and pile on that sunscreen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll definitely learn quickly to keep reapplying the SPF down here! Shelby looks great. Glad y'all are liking the new digs in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayy!! She's looking great! Can't wait to see how she looks with garments in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts