Handmade on Etsy



It is Monday morning, March 1st! Already March?! Crazy. I'm starting my week with little Miss Maura; we're watching Kung Fu Panda. Clementine is slowly warming up to the idea of kids in the house. She did start to get a little irritated with my picture-taking.

For the entire year of 2010, I am only buying clothes that are handmade, recycled, repurposed, or second hand. Nothing new. I am trying to bring awareness and attention to the dangers and implications of shopping at mall stores, clothes that are mass produced and made in sweatshops.

Of course it will be a lot more expensive than shopping at the mall and what-not, but I want to cherish my clothes, and buy things for their quality over quantity. Disposable fashion and cheap $3 shirts at Forever 21 might seem like a good idea to the fashion forward girl that wants one in every color. But think of the person in Bangladesh making 20 cents an hour or less, working 12 hours a day so they can continue to live in poverty, barely getting by, just so we have a rainbow in our closets.

I encourage you all to take a look at the Planet Green channel's show "Blood, Sweat, and T-shirts". And check out this article at Planet Green.

Etsy is a great place to start with buying handmade! I found this shop, THIMBLEandACORN, that is all handmade clothing; I think I'm going to get this shirt! I love the itty bitty sleeves and the colors.




Here are two great Etsy shops that make and sell amazing clothes:


  • HeidiandSeek - Hayley, out of Australia, making OAAK (one-of-a-kind) shirts. I've purchased a few, great quality and very fun! She's is closing her Etsy shop, so get one of her designs before they're gone!

  • KittyDearest - Liz in Chattanooga, makes fun, feminine dresses, skirts, and accessories. I bought the Indian Summer Dress from her last June, and I can't wait till it's warm enough to start wearing it again!

Comments

  1. great post - i think your resolution for 2010 is very admirable.

    i spent my weekend at several thrift stores...everything from upscale designer clothing to $2.00 tees at the salvation army, but I have to admit I have trouble with the concept of 2nd hand clothing. However, i have resolved to find second-hand or handmade dresses for the three weddings I have coming up. especially because i know i'll only wear them once. baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting a little difficult with new spring fashions.. I just went thrifting and found some dresses to deconstruct though! yay!

    Congrats on your resolution with the dresses.. it's a good start, and wayyy cheaper than buying new dresses for weddings.. I'm doing the same for the handful of weddings this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me 2! I always buy my clothes and other items either from Etsy, flea markets, or thrift stores. The money goes to a charitable purpose and makes your wardrobe super unique :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts