♥ Heart ♥ shaped pecan pies

Being that this is my first year having a Valentine, I wanted to bake Matt something nice to go with the dinner he was cooking for me. Sarah gave me her Granny's pecan pie recipe that was her mother's. Her Granny and Granddaddy are pecan farmers in south Georgia, so I trusted the recipe and was very excited!
Since I'm from Michigan, I've only had pecan pie one before. Rachael and I were driving through North Carolina, in the small town where the Andy Griffith show was filmed, and had a slice at a roadside BBQ stand. It was heaven. I still think about that pie. 
I used little heart shaped pans I bought at Meijer (mid-west version of Walmart/Target but better) years ago. They're perfect for brownies and muffins, but I'd never used them for mini pies. Following is the recipe and some photo instructions. 

You will need:
  • 1 cup dark karo syrup
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup pecans
  • pie crust

 Preheat the oven 400 degrees. Blend syrup, eggs, salt and sugar. Add butter, vanilla, and pecans. 
Put crust in desired mini pans. Using a spoon, fill with pecan mix filling. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 325 for 15 minutes. Pie is done when the center springs back when touched with your finger. If pecan falls slightly, bake longer.
This recipe also works for a large pie, bake for 15 at 400 degrees then reduce to 325 for 45 minutes. Makes 8 mini pies or one large pie.

They were delicious! A perfect treat after Matt's amazing dinner that consisted of lobster tails, steak, homemade mashed potatoes, salad, and white wine. I sent most of them home with Matt for his parents since I knew a handful of pecan pies will go bad in my kitchen. I also gave a few to my girlfriends Sarah and Jessica. I finally ate one yesterday at work and, I have to say, was very impressed with myself. I generally don't eat my baked goods, I don't know why. But I will definitely be making, and eating, these again. And in heart shaped crusts of course. They're so charming and perfect portions.
Next I'm going to experiment with fruit pies and the heart pans. I'm thinking lemon blueberry, apple peach, and maybe caramel apple. Mmmmm! The south makes me eat too many sweets.

Comments

  1. Cute! I also love a good pecan pie. I'm from NC so they're not too hard to find 'round here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts