DIY: Shortening a printed skirt

Ohmigoodness, it's been too long! My internet has been down since last Saturday and I've been going crazy! It's finally back up and I can now show you this skirt I altered on Monday. My sister, Rachael, was in town and Monday was our craft day. She'd brought me this skirt and wanted to cut it up and make a purse out of it. No way Jose. I loved the floral print! I told her it was mine ha. I knew if I'd just shorten it, it would be just right, and it is now perfect!
Before: a great skirt, elastic waist, high waisted, and it even has pockets! Using my chalk hem marker with a little hand pump, you can copy this exact alteration at home without any help! 
Measuring the exact distance from the floor all the way around is tricky with only one set of hands. When you lean down to pin it, the fabric drops quite a few inches. Then you end up with a really short skirt. The solution: a chalk hem marker! I purchased mine at Joann's for about $20 with my coupon I get in the mail.
Make sure your skirt it the right height at your waist all the way around. Starting at one side, mark with the chalk every few inches. It creates a line about 1 1/2" long. This is important to do, versus taking the skirt up the same amount all the way around, because with a woman's curves. Sometimes you will end up with a skirt shorter in the back, if you have a big behind, and if it is a dress, shorter in the front if you have a big chest. Bottom line: this tool is best to use just to be safe and alter the garment correctly.
Cut about 1" below the chalk mark. This will leave you enough seam allowance.
Sew a double rolled hem and voila! You have a much more attractive skirt. Perfect for spring!
Belt: Goodwill, $1. Watch: Walmart, $40. 
David Bowie tank top: $5. Shoes: Gap City Flats, $30
Monday was a beautiful day here in Georgia, and this was my outfit I wore to work at Stillwater. I absolutely love the south, in that, it is February, and I wore a tank top with a skirt in the early evening. Of course, I brought a light cardigan for my way home, but still. It's February!
Hope you are all enjoying this beautiful Friday! Can't wait to catch up on my blogging! I have so many new things to share with you all. Have a great weekend.

Comments

  1. Love it! And such a good idea! Makes me want to go trolling through the thrift store in search of some good finds to alter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures! I wonder who took them?! And WOW do they look good! hahaha

    You are welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world did you get your picture to do that movement?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that hem marker sounds amazing!!! i would love to get one of those!!!

    http://thegirlintheheartglasses.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alethia -- it's an "animated gif". I made it using ImageReady.

    You should Hannah, it's a great investment!
    Thanks Rach!!

    Thanks for the kind words ladies. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post because I have 3 skirts I need to cut down but I don't want to ruin them.

    - Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts