30 day no alcohol challenge!


Yesterday, my friend Jessica and I went out to brunch at a local bar, 1102. With bottomless mimosas and Bloody Mary's being the Sunday special at this restaurant bar, we cured our slight hangovers from the crazy late ladies night we had the night before. 

While sitting out on their patio, we watched 3,000 of people running down Broad Street, the main street of the downtown area, competing in the Iron Man competition. It was an eye-opening and inspiring. There we sat, two fit, healthy young women, eating unhealthy food and drinking alcohol, while productive active people are running past in the 70.3 mile triathlon. 

I've decided to embark on a 30 day without alcohol challenge. I want a clearer mind. I want a healthier body. I want to be able to run! While I work part time in a local bar during the week, it is difficult to say no to my favorite beer, Guinness. It's especially hard when it's free and I'm socializing and serving drinks to locals and friends. This is going to be a challenge for sure. But I can do it.

But did you know how bad alcohol is for your body? It stops the fat burning process when your liver converts alcohol to acetate in the bloodstream, replacing fat as fuel. As well as increasing one's appetite, a small portion of alcohol is converted to fat. I know I am starting to have a little beer tummy that crunches will not shrink! It also stops brain cells from being made, because even in my 20s, my brain is still growing.

Jessica and I are going to start training and running more. My goal: complete a 5K by the end of the year. I don't run well so this should be interesting. 

Want to take part with me? 30 days will fly by! Let's do it!

Helpful links:

Comments

  1. I did a no drinking challenge in July- and it was amazing. Hard the first few days to not come home to a beer, or to just have a soda water when hanging out with friends..but the results were amazing. Clearer head, more energy, and my beer belly disappeared! Good luck, I'll be rooting you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just started training for a marathon next March. While, I'm not cutting out alcohol completely I am definitely cutting back. I've been drinking way too much the past few months so I'm cutting down to three drinks a week. Also I'm going to start again being the designated driver for when I go out with friends so it makes it easy to not drink. Good luck with your challenge, and as a fellow Guinness lover I know how hard it can be...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts