DIY: spicy zucchini pickles

I found this recipe for spicy zucchini pickles that you can make in your fridge while wandering around on the Etsy Blog. The post was from a few weeks ago, and I finally went to the store to pick up the ingredients I didn't already have in my kitchen. The recipe called for a handful of things I never use. I mean, when would I ever need mustard seed? But it was so easy! And here is the recipe and how to.


You will need:
  • 1 pound zucchini (or any summer squash)
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon dill seeds
  • 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds 



Trim the ends off the zucchini and slice lengthwise into quarters. Bring vinegar, water, salt and spices to a boil. Simmer for five minutes, then remove from heat. Thoroughly sanitize and rinse the jar you'll use and keep it filled with hot water until you're ready to use it.


Pack the zucchini snugly in the jar. Tuck the garlic cloves in. Pour the hot brine over the squash. Let the jar sit, uncovered, until it has cooled, about an hour. Cover and refrigerate. They should keep for a couple of months, if not longer.


My favorite part of cooking in my kitchen: wearing a fun apron. I wish I had more people to cook for sometimes. I bake a pie and I struggle to give it away. Luckily these pickles stay good for months in the fridge!

I'm currently thawing a three pound boneless turkey that I bought for my Thanksgiving I was going to have alone last year. It's been in my freezer for far too long and I have to do something with it. Can I cook a turkey in a crock pot? Hmm... Maybe with some carrots and potatoes. Any which way I cook it, I see many turkey sandwiches in my future.

The original recipe for spicy zucchini pickles can be found here.

Comments

Popular Posts