My 'new' vintage Brother Festival sewing machine

The newest machine to be added to my collection. A Brother Festival. Made in the 1960s, I purchased it at Goodwill for only $15 the weekend of my spring fashion show. It had NEVER been used, still having the factory practice starched fabric, showing it can sew all of the programmed stitches. I was also lucky enough that it came with the original manual!

And the light bulb still works! My first brown sewing machine. I've owned a few new Brothers, but I have broken them all. Well, I've broken all the new ones anyways. All plastic machines I have owned break in some way. I had another vintage Brother, that was also thrifted, but I gave it away to a young girl in need of a machine. I'm very hard on machines, and new sewing machines just don't cut it. This marvelous lovely lady is going to be my close friend for months, while my Kenmore takes a little nap from making two lines of lingerie in the past six months.

The stitch selector. Since the machine is so old, it is quite difficult to change the stitch selection. One has to push down the button on the left to turn the knob on the right. It doesn't like to move very easily, but that is fine. I never make button holes or use these stitches, so the stitch on the far right is selected, manual. 

In the manual setting, one can choose the needle position on the left, center and right, the dial reading L,M,R. The zig zag stitch is controlled with a 0-5 selector above the L,M,R. The small silver circles are a sort of clamp. When you push them in they slide left to right, keeping the lever in place to secure the selection of your zig zag stitch. The top controls the stitch width, and the center button on that dial is reverse. 

Don't you just LOVE these colors?! This is going to quickly become another favorite machine.

Still in the original case. Ah. Such a beauty. Who could ever get rid of something so amazing!? I found a great deal on this machine! And it even had the manual included, so I was able to oil it properly.

If you haven't already noticed, I added a new page to my blog, "My Vintage Sewing Machines", "sewing machines", up on the top navigation bar under my banner. I want you share my machines with you all since I love them so much. The machines on which I sew are very important to me. I believe it is important to build a relationship with your machine, loving it and taking care of it. Servicing and cleaning it. I have a deep love affair with vintage machines. Just last week I sold my only "new" machine I purchased brand new in 2008. From now on I will only use vintage machines!

Coming soon: the importance and how-to's of servicing, cleaning, and oiling your vintage sewing machine!

What kind of machine do you sew on? Is it vintage? Tell me your favorite thrifted sewing machine story!

Comments

  1. OMG shes a beauty! Hubby paid a lot for a singer 401A from ebay for my 40th birthday,he researched and bought it all by himself and i was so happy and proud that he'd gone to all the trouble.Then just last year i found another one (in table this time)for sale on kajiji and paid virtually nothing for it.I love them both!!
    Congrats o your new sewing baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I was wondering if you would be willing to share your out of print manual. I have recently bought a machine like this and am trying to repair it ;) it would be awesome of you! Thx....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I have a vintage Brother DeLuxe (dusty pink) and no manual, and you just answered a few burning questions for me about the reverse button and zigzag feature. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I have a similar brother machine, it's the Pacesetter 725 and I have the manual but I cant seem to move the the stitch dial from D (buttonholes) back to cam 1-M. Do you know how this is done? It's not mentioned in the manual! For the others I'll scan the manual and dropbox and share a link here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dina,
      would you send me the manual of this machine cause i lost mine please
      thanks

      Delete
  5. Hello! I have acquired the same machine you have the brother 2010. I have no manual and was wondering how to thread it. Any help would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, what is your email? I'd be happy to send you a diagram of the threading. It's mirror image of most machines. Start with the spool pin, bring thread to the far left. Down through the tension. Down to a thread guide. Then up to the right through the take up lever, and down through thread guides and to the needle.

      Delete
  6. Hello sally Ann,
    would you send me the manual of this machine cause i lost mine please.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts