Marimekko Love

Ever since I fell in love with Marushkas and silk screen wall art, I have been the biggest fan of all things Marimekko. Have you heard of either? Both are silk screen companies that make the most beautiful prints. Marimekko was popular in the 60s, Marushkas in the 70s. Similar in style, Marushkas are like the American nature version of Marimekko.

Marushkas were printed in West Michigan, where I was born and raised. Since they were so popular in the 70s, and printed nearby, they were always readily available at local thrift stores. My parents always shook their head at me and my infatuation with the prints, because to them, it was something they wanted to forget about. Ugly things from their past. I just can't get enough. In their day, everyone my parents age had Marushkas decorating the walls of their dorms, apartments, etc. So when I found an original Marimekko "Heina" print from 1957 by Maija Isola at Goodwill in Lansing, Michigan for $10, I almost peed my pants! Worth at least $500, it's the most valuable and beautiful piece in my collection. I love love love it. I can't get enough of either brand.

Why am I babbling on about these old companies? Well, when I was browsing my Instagram feed last week, I came across this gorgeous dress I'm sporting in these pictures. A Marimekko tribute collection from H&M. I just had to have it! It's so bright and beautiful and perfect for spring and summer. 

Now I can't figure out if the design of the pattern is one done by Maija herself, I'm still super stoked to have a piece of apparel to match my collection of wall art, fabric, dishes, and all other things Marimekko and Marushka in my home.

Aside from all the excitement of moving, one thing I'm really looking forward to is unpacking my Marimekko fabric! I can't wait until we get settled in our new home in Jacksonville, and I'll finally be able to get out my remnants I've been saving for throw pillows in the living room to match my Heina. 

I wish I could afford more Marimekko fabric (it's around $50/yard!) and could make myself a wardrobe of clothes! Couches upholstered in their fabric! Tea towels with flowers. Curtains with hay. Their site sells breathtaking outfits with the most amazing cuts, but are a wee bit out of my price range, and break my rule of "new" clothing. Someday soon, I'm going to have to allow for some new clothes again. In the meantime, I'm still going strong on my "second hand only" motto.

Maija Isola was the main textile designer for Marimekko, her bold prints popular in the 60s. The look of Marimekko is still mostly taken from the work of this legendary Finnish designer. She is undisuputeedly the "look" of Marimekko.

When Matt and I were visiting New York this past January, we were somewhere between Chelsea and Gramercy, we found the Flatiron building. I turned around and BAM! There was a Marimekko store! I'd never been to one of their actual locations. I dragged Matt into the store and dreamed of a home covered in Marimekko fabric. It was wonderful!

Outfit details:
Marimekko dress from H&M. 
Purse: Jen Ell's Revenge custom handbag.
Vintage shoes.
Vintage Casio watch.

Comments

  1. Love that print and it matches the brightness of your hair perfectly :)
    teapotsandbelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    beautiful post. I love the outfit and your hair!
    Just amazing.
    Love
    Tabea

    http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool! I love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a steal! I can't even believe you found that! It's so beautiful. You look so great.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts