Top 5 Pallet Furniture Finds

Recycling has always been something I try to incorporate into my daily life, in my home, and in my work. While most of my furniture is thrifted or second hand, all this construction with Shelby makes me want to explore more avenues of furniture construction. The trend of pallet furniture has grabbed my attention, and here are some of my favorite finds and possible future projects. The above headboard is my dream of a backdrop for a future bedroom. I think it is so gorgeous!


Perhaps our new coffee table. The one is our living room at the moment is retched, and I hate it so much. It was only $10 at a thrift store, and I bought it for Matt when he lived in his last apartment. With the merging of the possessions a little over a year ago, when we moved in together, that table won. We figure that table will last until we move, and then we'll put it out by the street for someone to rescue. The above design would be perfect for storage, and low enough to the ground. Great for Scrabble nights and jigsaw puzzles on Sundays. Maybe a color stain to bring it more life.

Shelves for my future new office? I would love to have a giant wall of shelves for files, work orders, notions, etc. Maybe a giant cutting table with the bottom of it shelves for fabric, and a huge cutting surface. The possibilities are endless. All I know is, I want my next office to have a central theme and feel, and this look may be just what I'm looking for.

Outdoor furniture for a future patio? I love daybed couches as outdoor furniture. Fall alseep in the sun with a cat on my lap. That's my idea of a perfect day off.  
An outdoor table for gatherings, dinners, and enjoying the sunshine? I think so! This table looks super easy and so rustic, I just love it. While I'll have to narrow my choices of these few things down to just a few, it will be hard. Someday I hope to have so much more handmade furniture in my home than what we have now. As we accumulate more and more power tools, making this furniture won't be as hard as it once seemed.

While I've read here and there, and I'm a bit skeptical, it's speculated that pallet furniture isn't actually safe for the home. But then would it be okay for outdoor use? I've read that the wood is treated with many chemicals and not sealed, full of pesticides and insects, can be a breeding ground for mold. More research is needed before I'm pursuaded, and if I find that it is indeed unsafe to use pallet wood, I'll just use some other recycled wood to acheieve the look of pallet furniture. What do you think? Is it worth the risk?

Sources & tutorials for above furniture
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Comments

  1. Great findings! I love the bed and the outdoor sofa!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The headboard is my favorite. A Beautiful Mess did a tutorial awhile back that when it's time for me to move, I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the one she posted! I love the idea of a rustic headboard against our red bedspread :)

      Delete
  3. I love that coffee table, such a great idea.
    http://teapotsandbelles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've looked into doing similar projects and there are some people screaming "danger, danger". I don't know. I definitely wouldn't use pallets that come from hardware stores or places that carry pesticides, but lots of places use pallets.

    Best Buy chucks tons of pallets weekly and the only thing that sits on those is TVs. They were always such a pain to deal with, I bet if you went by and asked them for a couple they would give them to you or maybe have some stacked outside.

    I also think it's strange that we use all these harsh chemicals in our homes (paint, cleaners, etc) but people freak out about maybe using pallet wood. I mean, decks are chemically treated and kids walk around all barefoot on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. and where AREN'T there chemicals these days. I think we'll survive. I would, however, never use this wood for children's furniture.. but in the meantime, our childless home will be fine :)

      Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  5. My mother-in-law has become pallet furniture happy thanks to Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts