Oh deer..

I've been spending the last few hours scouring Etsy searches for the perfect deer necklace. I love deer, especially whitetails! They remind me of Michigan and my step father, Tom, that passed away last year. Being that I'm super picky when it comes to jewelry, and I have an allergy to almost everything, it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. 
I'd love to get my hands on some antlers my mom doesn't want anymore. She and Tom had so many! Friends that used to come over would jokingly call our house "the house of death". Tom was an avid hunter, my mother too! He loved displaying his trophies. Tom had two half deer mounts (shoulders and up), deer hides, and antlers galore! My favorite was one that he made from two deer that were a little past being a "button buck". They were maybe four inches long, and four of them. Imagine four spikes mounted on one. That'd be one crazy looking deer. He was so funny.
(Edit: Mom sent me a picture with her cell phone of this piece after reading my blog.)
My mom got her hands on a bear skull years ago, and she mounted deer antlers on it with a blend of sawdust and glue, making it look like all one piece. That was another crazy looking bear-deer. For those of you that don't know the difference between a bear and deer skull, they are quite different. My mom is strange haha. I come from an interesting family that is always making wierd things.
If I could get my mom to part with some antlers, I'd love to make something with them! I really want some for my apartment. Maybe mount them on colored wood with pretty fabric around the mount, making them match my decor.
Here are my favorites of the jewelry on Etsy:
I think I'm going to buy this one. It's vintage and so unique. Only $18!

Comments

  1. so adorable! i LOVE deers too.. thank you very much for featuring my fawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see you making a coat rack out of the deer rack haha... Glad to see your mom can be creative! I expect to see a jack-a-lope! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool collection of deers! Thanks so much for including mine :D. Antler decor sounds pretty cool. The crazy looking bear-deer sounds awesome--giving me some weird ideas for the things lying around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally this made me sad :( and miss Tom.

    Ryan, my mom has a coat rack out of deer antlers already. hahaha.

    & I like the vintage one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I love the deer necklace you picked!
    While I'm not big into hunting, I definitely grew up around it from living in Virginia. I had this one friend in high school that had a countdown to the start of deer hunting season. Ha.

    I know your post about Forever 21 was like a month ago, but I just got around to reading it. And you convinced me to stop shopping there. I literally just posted about it on my blog and referred to your post and the article you recommended. Seriously so interesting and so true. I can't believe I've been shopping there for so long!
    I am now going the thrifting route from now on.
    Just wanted to thank you for that post so much!! And check out my blog to read the article if you want!
    Here's the link: http://sunflowercitygirl.blogspot.com/2011/06/forever-21-never-more.html

    Thanks again girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seller has very nice woodland creature jewelry you might like!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/seaofbees

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts