Clothing Swap

While going through my clothes to take to Goodwill last month, I had an epiphany to host a clothing swap. Why get rid of everything and make specific piles for a few friends when I could just have them all come over with their unwanted clothes and everyone swap?! 

So that is what I did. I created a Facebook event and invited about 80 girls in Augusta. The percentage of people that actually show up is always less than 25%, so I invited way more than I knew would come. Some were close friends, some were acquaintances, and some I'd only met once or twice. It was great to get to know them outside of the bar and downtown scene. It was also great for them to get to know each other. 


Here is Ashley's daughter, helping with the sorting process. I set up three four foot tables, used my clothing rack, cutting table, and ironing board for clothes. My sewing room was the perfect space to hold all the clothes. Everyone was in charge of sorting their own clothes upon arrival. Then onward to wine and appetizers at the other end of my apartment.


Carly found some artichoke dip I had made and munched on veggies with hummus. I was sure to get red and white wine to cover anyone who had a particular taste for one or the other. General house wine works. Since I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the event I just bought some Franzia boxed wine, which has always been a huge no-no for me, boxed wine seems super tacky to me. But surprisingly, Franzia isn't half bad! I hate spending $15 on a bottle of "good wine" and then hating it because it's too dry or oaky. I think I'm buying Franzia from now on. The price is nice too, $11 for a box!


The room after about half of the clothes were sorted.


The tables were divided into shirt with sleeves, tanks, short, long shorts, skirts, sweaters, and hanging on the clothing rack were dresses and dress shirts. All jeans hung on the railing in my hallway.


And the swapping commenced! Brittney, Carly, Sarah, Sarah, Grace, Allyssa, Ashley, Lori, and myself. We each had a bag on our shoulder, I put on some Belle and Sebastian, and we picked through everything for about an hour. I was hoping to not keep too much but I couldn't help myself! There were so many great finds! AND EVERYTHING WAS FREE!


Allyssa finding "new" pants.



Ashley discovered my awesome batwing blue top. I loved this shirt and bought it about 6 years ago but only wore it once or twice. It's great to know that all your unwanted clothes can find new life in friends. We all joked about going out for cocktails in a week or so only wearing clothes we got in the swap and seeing who is wearing what. 


Even Sarah's five year old daughter, Maura, found something in the leftovers. Can you tell I taught her how to pose for the camera? She's such a ham.

We all had so much fun! I can't wait to host another one in a few months. I think it'll be a quarterly thing. It was so easy and just required a clean apartment, refreshments and finger food. Also, a large room for swapping. I simply moving around a few things made my sewing room the perfect location. Folding tables and labels are a must. 

Ideas for the next swap... A drawing for someone to get to pick five pieces of clothing before everyone else starts swapping. A kids section for parents. More accessories! Break out the punch bowl and make sangria, who doesn't loves fruit in their wine?!

Comments

  1. What a great idea. I would love to get in on something like this. I usually just take my clothes to goodwill. This looks like a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need help doing this again please let me know. I would love to bring some appetizers or even some wine. I have tons of stuff I need to go through here, I will keep your swapping party in mind when doing so. Fantastic idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like such an amazing evening with lovely ladies and so wonderful everyone was able to find something and swap it up! And cheers to making new friends :) Your apartment looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo that looks like a lot of fun!!! I might have to try that with someof my friends sometime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a great girls night out! we do kid's swaps at www.peacelove.com and help moms do them if they are interested! :) -
    meg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts