Setting up at Gaartdensity Gallery

Tomorrow night, June 1st, is the opening of my first gallery show! Doing something a little different, and something I've never done before, the butterflies are starting in my tummy. I've always considered myself an artist, working with clothing, lingerie, and most anything in my home, but I've only presented accessories and clothing to the world. People like to refer to me as a seamstress, but I'm more than that, and now I'll finally show them. 

I'll present a collection of 30 embroidered wall hangings made from all recycled materials. Many are nude portraits, influenced by work from my mother, models of the 60s, and everyday situations. I can't wait to unveil my new collection to all of Augusta, the blogosphere, and to everyone on Etsy. The entire collection will be for sale in Gaartdensity Gallery (pronounced Garden City), and online for those that can't make it to Augusta to purchase it in person.

Stephanie Sunshine Forbes and myself. Stephanie owns Gaartdensity, and is herself a very talented artist. She is only 20 years old and owns a gallery! Can you believe it. She's so sweet. And a great painter. 

Eep! I can't believe I'm finally hanging everything up for the show! Whenever I find myself stressing out about the show, I remind myself, there aren't 15+ models to handle; everything is hanging and won't move. How relieving compared to my last two (fashion) shows. There will be a "live mannequin" in the front window of the gallery for opening night. My friend Jaye is going to dress in some of my lingerie and stand as still as possible, allowed to move every few minutes but stay as still as she can. And since it's First Friday in downtown Augusta, this will be a real crowd pleaser, drawing many people in off of Broad Street.

And I can't tell you how great it felt to get everything out of my house for the show! I slept so great last night, knowing that none of this work was staring at me, waiting for the show. Poor Matt will finally have a clean house again, maybe. I'll do my best but I always seem to make a mess out of everything. I like to call it organized chaos. I'm mostly organized, I just have everything everywhere. Haha. I can't wait for tomorrow night! 

Happy Thursday everyone!

Comments

  1. I cannot wait to see the collection! I definitely want to buy one of your nude embroidered pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and best of luck at the opening, Sally! Sounds like such a fun night, and everything you've shown as a "sneak peek" in the blogosphere has been so awesome (I wish I knew better 'art' terms)! You have an amazing eye for the womanly figure...you make me want to appreciate my own :) and you can draw/sew like a boss.

    As always, I wish I could attend. I'll be on Etsy, hoping to scoop up a piece of my own! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting! Your work looks great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts