Blackberry Crisp

One thing I love about living in the south, fresh blackberries! And now that they're in season they're so inexpensive at the grocery store. A few weeks ago I purchased a few pints and made the most delicious blackberry crisp from my late stepfather's crisp recipe. It was originally Tom's apple crisp, and I've made it a million different ways. 

For other fun variations, mix up the fruit! I like to add a peach to my apple crisp, even fresh pineapple. Blackberries and strawberries would be delicious, I think I'll bake that next! Follow the recipe card below, subbing apples for two pints of blackberries

Stick to the 1/2 cup of margarine or butter, one stick of butter. The oats you can play around with.

As the recipe directs, spread the oats mixture over the blackberries. I like to lightly crumble it and spread it evenly, then pat it down before it goes in the oven. It doesn't have to be perfect. That's the best part about desserts like this, you can't really mess them up unless you add too much butter.

Ready to bake! Depending on the fruit, it should bake about 30 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, use a butter knife to separate the crisp from the edges of the pan, as it will slightly sink as it cools. Serve by itself or over ice cream while still warm.

Tom passed away two years ago this month, and every time I cook I think of him. I've definitely come a long way from helping and watching him in the kitchen as a kid. He'd never give me full control of the kitchen until I was much older, knowing I'd make a huge mess, which I still do. I know he'd be proud of my cooking skills now, and I'm happy to share his recipe with you all!

Comments

  1. Oh man I love blackberry crisp so hard!

    I saw you on Selective Potential and I'm going to be honest I visited your blog because I'm a tremendous music snob and I really liked your musical taste haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I trust that you have saved a piece for me, lol! Otherwise, I'll assume because you posted the recipe, I'll just have to make my own, hmmmm. ;O)
    Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts