DIY Blackberry Bourbon


Hey bourbon lovers! This recipe is for you! I was inspired by Jelly Bones' blog post on homemade blackberry brandy, so Matt and I decided it'd be yummy to try to infuse some bourbon. I don't know much about infusing alcohol, so this recipe is by no means authoritative, or a perfect recipe, this is just what we did, and I enjoyed the finished product...

For this recipe, you will need:

  • a liquor bottle
  • a pint of blackberry
  • a little over half a fifth of bourbon, we used Jim Beam
 Fill bottle with the pint of blackberries. Top off with bourbon. It's that simple. The rest is a waiting and shaking game. 


 Store bottle in a dry dark place. I put ours in the pan cabinet of the kitchen. Agitate daily. 

Two weeks in. Starting to change color.

 On day 30, we strained the bourbon from the blackberries using a colander and mixing bowl. The blackberries were a little stubborn to get out of the bottle, since they absorbed a good bit of bourbon.


 The blackberries make great garnishes in drinks, they're little bites of bourbon. It's like the bourbon and blackberries traded flavors. The bourbon a bit sweeter, and the blackberries all bourbon. I used additional bourbon to soak the blackberries in, and placed them in the fridge to keep them wet.

 Pour bourbon back in bottle and sit on the shelf.


We enjoyed our bourbon over ice with a few blackberries, and it was great. Maybe try with a little sprite or ginger ale, for those bourbon drinkers that don't like it straight up. 

Next batch, I'm going to try adding a bit of sugar, I think then it will actually frement the blackberries. I can't wait to try this again. We're going to try a few at a time, next time. Maybe some bacon vodka for Bloody Mary's, and some flavored brandy. These would also make great gifts! 

Happy Holidays everyone! Cheers!

Comments

  1. Yum! You had me at bourbon! I think I'll try this. Half of me is thinking what a nice gift this would make, and half of me is saying that I want it all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad you gave this a whirl! Bourbon is actually my fave booze. I found mixing the brandy with blackberry soda was suuuuper tasty. :)
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this last holiday season but at the end I added some simple syrup to make it sweeter like a cordial or bounce. people FREAKED!! best holiday present ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delightful! I'm thinking if you froze some of the soaked blackberries by spreading them out on a cookie sheet and placing in the freezer, then placing them in ziploc type baggies you could enjoy a cool drink while avoiding the watering down that occurs with ice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts