Building New Traditions


Since Matt has moved in, we have been enjoying many more meals together. While he only lived a block away for the last year, it's still a great new adventure everyday, sharing the same living space. We decided this past Sunday to start a tradition in our home, that every Sunday we will cook dinner together. 


This week, we decided on cheeseburgers, sweet potato fries, and lima beans. Matt was in charge of burgers and I prepared the rest. I got out my iPad (Matt's Christmas present to me!!) and looked up a dill feta spread/dip for the sweet potato fries. It was really easy. Equal parts cream cheese and crumbled feta, adding dill to taste. I used about a teaspoon. Because the dill is easy to see in the spread, you won't really add too much. I whipped it up with my mixer, making it smooth and perfect for the fries. 

For the sweet potato fries, I cut the potato into long strips, all close to the same thickness, and seasoned them with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. I baked them on an air-insulated baking sheet, at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until crispy.



You can't have a great dinner without a good bottle of wine. We opened this one while cooking and I had a glass before dinner. This is my favorite cheap Merlot, Blackstone. $6-10 at a grocery store or package shop. 


Matt, the grill master. The burgers were massive, 1/2 lb. each! Matt's idea, not mine. Inside the ground chuck burgers, I added cinnamon (my secret ingredient, well, not so secret anymore), garlic powder, onion powder, Matt hates actual onions, and salt and pepper. Grilling on our porch, maybe not the best idea. Next time, we'll be sure to grill on the sidewalk or front yard.


Zeus was dreaming if he thought food was for him. He's so big, resting his head on the counter is no problem at all. I "accidentally" drop fresh vegetables when I cook. I learned he doesn't like onions or cherry tomatoes recently. It's hilarious when he spits the food back out.


The best burger you ever did see! Loaded with American cheese, tomato, lettuce, fresh guacamole, mayo, ketchup, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper, on a whole wheat bun and a 1/2 lb. patty.


Cat salt and pepper shakers. 


Dinner is served.



It was a great meal and so much fun cooking together! It's a great way to spend time with your other half, and trying new dishes and meals. Matt and I had such a great time! And everything tasted great. I can't wait for next Sunday.

Next time, I think I want to try Amberly Sara's Roasted Veggie Pesto Pizza! We'll see what Matt thinks about that.

What do you do for with your other half at mealtime?! Do you have any dinner suggestions?

OH! And be sure to check out the giveaway on my Facebook Page!

Comments

  1. You have a beautiful home! BTW, the hamburger looks delicious~ top notch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, love the new look of your site!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alethia -- I'm going to have a huge change soon :)
      Hope all is well!!

      Delete
  3. Hey Sal! I love the new look of your blog. I am sending you a couple recipes in your box of slips. Figured you could use some since you are cooking more at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'd love to have someone to cook with me on Sundays. Just an FYI, onions aren't good for dogs (a few pieces for such a large dog wouldn't do anything), so it's good Zeus doesn't like them. Cherry tomatoes don't taste like much on the outside, but if you break the tomato before giving, er..., "dropping" it to him, he may like it better. My dogs love tomatoes, but it took a while before they realized that the little ones are tomatoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. Didn't know onions were bad for him. He's like a giant garbage disposal. Last week he snuck half a block of cheese off the counter and it was gone in seconds!!

      carrots are his favorite :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts