Movember Moustaches


 "Hey everyone. Matt here. So you like the mustache? Me neither, but it's for a great cause. I decided to participate in Movember for a couple reasons. First, I thought it would be funny. And if you take another look at the picture, you can see I've taken care of that part. Secondly, I knew it would be good for radio. From my experience, listeners love when you make yourself look like an idiot. Last, and most importantly, my grandfather passed away from prostate cancer in 2006. I know if he was alive today he would look at me and laugh. I would love any donations you can afford. And if you can't donate, your funny comments are always welcome. Thanks guys."


I can't stop laughing at his ridiculous mustache. Like Matt and millions of people, I've also been affected by prostate cancer. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in the fall of 2002. I had just started my senior year of high school. Then one fall day, my parents, and all four of us kids were having lunch. It was the strangest thing, since the six of us hadn't been together since my parents split what I was 8 or 9. Then we found out why. They broke the news of dad having prostate cancer. It was devastating, as his father and many other men in his family have passed from prostate cancer. Thankfully, it was caught early, and he was in excellent health and in his 50s. My dad recovered and he is still cancer free. 

Even this past April, a friend of mine from college died from complications of testicular cancer. He was only 27 years old.

It is so important to bring awareness to men's health issues! For decades, discussing men's prostate and testicular health was tabo and not discussed. Thankfully times have changed. Did you know that one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime, compared to one in eight women and breast cancer. While most men aren't diagnosed with prostate cancer until later in life, it is still important to be well informed.


Movember has changed the face of prostate cancer research. It's amazing! Watch the video above. There's even talk of a vaccine in the next decade. "More research progress has been made in the last two months, than in the last five years," Dr. Jonathan Simons says. "Moustaches will be the end of men's prostate cancer."


Check out Movember efforts. Donate to the cause. Notice your friend is sporting a moustache this month? Ask him where you can find his page, and donate! Even little bit helps, and together we can end this disease!

Links:

Comments

Popular Posts